‘How I feel About My School’: The construction and validation of a measure of wellbeing at school for primary school children
DateVol. 55 (1
Chan Seem, E
Vol. 55 (10), Supplement, p. S156
Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry
Reason for embargo
There is a growing focus on child wellbeing and happiness in schools, but we lack self-report measures for very young children. Three samples (N = 2345) were combined to assess the psychometric properties of the How I Feel About My School (HIFAMS) questionnaire, which was designed for children aged 4-8 years. Test re-test reliability was moderate (intraclass correlation coefficient = 0.62). HIFAMS assessed a single concept and had moderate internal consistency (Cronbach’s alpha values from 0.62 to 0.67). There were low correlations between scores on the child-reported HIFAMS and parent- and teacher reports. Children at risk of exclusion had significantly lower HIFAMS scores than the community sample (mean difference = 2.4; 95% CI: 1.6 to 3.2; p < 0.001). Schools contributed only 4.5% of the variability in HIFAMS score; the remaining 95.5% reflecting pupil differences within schools. Girls’ scores were 0.37 units (95% CI: 0.16 to 0.57; p < 0.001) higher than boys, while year group and deprivation did not predict HIFAMS score. HIFAMS is a promising measure that demonstrates moderate reliability and discriminates between groups even among very young children.
This is the author accepted manuscript. The final version is available from Elsevier via the DOI in this record.
Available online 21 October 2016