Biogeographic Barriers in the Andes: Is the Amotape—Huancabamba Zone a Dispersal Barrier for Dry Forest Plants?
Ulloa Ulloa, C
Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden
Missouri Botanical Garden Press
We investigate whether the Amotape—Huancabamba zone in the Andes acts as a barrier or corridor for plant species migration. We test this hypothesis based on data on trees, shrubs, and herbs collected in dry inter-Andean valleys (DIAVs) of Ecuador. We found that 72% of the species cross the Amotape—Huancabamba zone in a north—south direction and 13% of the species cross the Andes in an east—west direction. Southern DIAVs concentrate the highest numbers of endemic species. At the regional level we found that 43% of the species are exclusively Andean, while the remaining 57% are found in the Pacific lowlands, the Caribbean, and Mesoamerica. These results showing many species crossing the Amotape—Huancabamba zone in a north—south direction and also frequently found in neighboring lowland and highland ecosystems suggest that the Amotape—Huancabamba zone acts as a corridor for species migration of dry inter-Andean flora.
This research was funded by the SENESCYT scholarship “Convocatoria 2011,” the Oticon Foundation, Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Ecuador, and SYNTHESYS research visiting grant 2014
This is the final version of the article. Available from Missouri Botanical Garden Press via the DOI in this record.
Vol. 102 (3), pp. 542 - 550